Wednesday, August 13, 2008

My Family Legacy

A few months ago I lost my blog and had to recreate it. Fortunately I had saved it the day before to my computer so I was able to get almost everything I had posted except for the older posts. One of them was what I called "My Family Legacy". Hopefully this will pass down to my children. I never knew my great grandmother (I think I was born about 3 years after she went to be with the Heavenly Father). My mother was the oldest of 13 siblings (6 girls and 7 boys - one boy died in infancy). I still have one uncle living who is 84 years old. My great grandmother had 14 children. I think my grandmother was the only one who had a large family so my great grandmother must have thought her grandchildren might need some advice from their grandmother and has been passed down to her great grandchildren also. She was a poet I have been told and was the town librarian since the library was in her home. She wrote a Memorandum to my grandmother and her siblings. Following is a picture of her and what she wrote:


By: Lydia C. Blackburn

To: Children of Hugh E. and Sarah Adina Blackburn Taylor

Date: July 17, 1930

Forward: I have written this poem for you dear grandchildren
as a memorandum of your old Grand Ma Blackburn and a keepsake,
Hope you will read it carefully and be benefitted thereby.

***************
We ought to work and watch and pray,

And live for Jesus everyday.
That we might lead some wayward soul,
From sin to Christ, and be made whole.

I'll tell you sinner, how I came,
It was through faith in Jesus name.
I trusted and he made me whole,
He cleansed my heart and saved my soul.

I then was happy in the Lord,
Also believed His Holy Word
Would be a Lamp unto my feet,
Untill my race was made complete.

I then was young but now I'm old,
And in His Cause I'm very bold.
To plead with sinners to repent,
Before their lives are too far spent.

I often weep and mourn and pray,
O're wayward souls who've gone astray.
That they might seek, a home above,
Where all is joy and peace and love.

For here we find no lasting joy,
As toil and strife, so oft annoy,
Which makes the conflict so severe,
We often get in doubt and fear.

But hold to God's unchanging hand,
And He will lead us to that land,
Where no more strife or bitter tears,
Can reach that Home of endless years.

For God, Himself, will wipe away
Our tears in that great Judgement Day,
Then we will weep and sigh no more
On Caanan's bright Eternal Shore.

My peace I leave with you my friends,
For you to share until the end.
I'll go, your mansion to prepare,
That in my joy you'll ever share.

With Kings and Priests and Prophets too,
Their mansion's there will all be new.
The Pearly Gates will open wide,
When you have reached the farther side.


37 comments:

Nicole said...

Alice,

Very cool poem! I loved it! While I was reading I noticed your slide show on the left hand side. I think you've had it there awhile but I haven't watched it all the way through until now. Very fun to see your family. Your children and grandchildren are beautiful!

Love ya, my friend.

Nicole

Shirley Mary said...

What a heritage you have to pass on to your children. The poem is really beautiful and the words leave no doubt that your great grandmother was a very Godly woman.
Thanks for sharing!
My grandfather wrote many, many songs but I don't where any of them are. And that makes me sad.

mary

debrah said...

What a beautiful poem. What a heart for people to know our Savior! It is such a wonderful history to be passed down from generation to generation. I would love to have letters and poems from my Grandma...I do have my memories and those I treasure.
In His Love,
Debrah

Joyfulsister said...

Alice,
What a beautiful keepsake for generations to hand down to one another from such a loving woman of God. Who he blessed with the gift of words through poetry. Your grandmother left a pricless piece of Legacy. thanks my sistha for sharing her and her beauitful poetry with us today.
Hugz Lorie

Plant Lady said...

Thanks Alice! Today when I found the marble, I immediately knew I had to do a post about it. When I start, I have no clue where it will go. The Lord directs my path!

Blessings,
Plant Lady

Rev. Brad Hurley said...

Alice,

God Bless you, and Thank You for your comments on the shepherd. Isn't it funny how God works and how he brings confirmation to us through his word. I am so Thankful that this was a blessing to you. I know when God showed it to me it was a real blessing for me. And this message has continued to bless me and others. Isn't God good. He does it all but he allows us to share in the reward.
God Bless you your brother in Christ
Brad
I have also posted a new post.
I know this will bless you.

debrah said...

Hi Alice:
Read your comment on another blog (I think it was Rachel's)...I will be keeping your husband in my prayers.
Be Blessed,
In His Love,
Debrah

Shirley Mary said...

Alice, I just read on Rachel's blog about your husband not feeling well. I know exactly how you feel! My husband has been very healthy and when I think he may be getting a problem it is difficult for me not to tense up and become frightened. I will add his name right under the request for your daughter.

mary

Debra said...

Alice, I see your name everywhere I go, so I thought it was about time I said hello! I do hope and pray your husband is okay.
Your comments have been blessing me for a while, as I read them on other's blogs!
Love, Debra

Nicole said...

Hi my dear Alice. Thank you for your sweet encouraging comments on my blog.

I have been thinking about your husband, and did pray for him at the time of your request. Did everything go okay at his doctor's appointment?

Hugs, love, and blessings,
Nicole

debrah said...

Alice:
Just dropping by to say Hi! I will continue to keep you and your husband in my prayers.
Be Blessed,
In His Love,
Debrah

Lynn - JnL4God said...

Alice,
Thank you so much for letting me know, I have already prayed for them and will continue to ask for peace for the family. I am so sorry.
Loves,
Lynn
PS I'm glad you have been following along, can you follow what is going on with out the book? I would be more than happy to send you one if you give me your address. Let me know Okay, cuz you've been such a blessing to me I'd love to bless you.
love,
Lynn

Karen said...

Alice,

Your husband, his niece, her son, husband and other son are all in my prayers as are you. I was very sorry to read all that has been happening in your life. I hope you and your family feel God's presence through all of this and can rest in the knowledge that Ian is with Him in heaven today, while the body provides for others in need.

May the God of all comfort bless you and keep you in Him.

Karen

SKY4KAT said...

Bless you Alice,
I saw your prayer request out there on some ones site maybe Lynn's. My prayers are with you and your family as they say good bye to such a young man. I pray for tender mercies and safe travel for all.
Love and blessings
Katrina

Sharon said...

Alice,
I am truly sorry to hear of this tragic accident. This was truly hard for me to swallow this morning. You know I lost my brother Jan 1st this year due to a horrible accident, where he had serious head injuries.. Mom and I had to have him removed from the life support system, and wait almost 2 days before he passed, that was the hardest thing I/We have ever had to do.. The doctor was angry that we went over his head, but he was wanting to keep taking money from the insurance company. He said for 8 days he was the same, the nurse showed us the paper work from the scans and they said he was gone.. I think I could of hurt someone that day. but I feel the hurt that they must be experiencing right now, and I'm truly sorry. I know how he must feel(father) my mother was going through the same feelings, and I felt myself also question.

I Love and Miss my brother soooo much, and tomorrow is his birthday he would of been 47.
God Bless you and the family, I will pray for the family.
Sharon

Shirley Mary said...

Alice, I read about the tragic accident on Rachel's blog. I understand some of the feelings after losing our youngest son in a car accident. There is no time to say "good-bye" or prepare for the loss.
I will add this prayer request to the others. I pray that all of your family that will be traveling will have a safe trip.

God bless you. . you are loved!

mary

GOD'S LADIE said...

Awesome! What a legacy! You should be proud. She was quite the poet. I love writing poetry as well and loooooove reading. Seems like she had the heart of Christ. What a blessing!

Thanks for sharing her wisdom.

Blessings,
LaTonya

GOD'S LADIE said...

Just read your prayer requests on Rachel's blog. How awful what has been happening around you. I will definately be in prayer for you and your family. May GOD's unsurpassing peace rest in your family's heart during this tough time. My sympathies...
LaTonya

much2ponder said...

What an awesome treasure you have! Thanks so much for sharing. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Rev. Brad Hurley said...

Sister Alice,

God Bless you, How's everything? What an incredible poem, wow this woman really knew the word of God. she able to put it into a poem from her heart, in that poem she was able to tell her life story and her heart's desire and she had a desire for evangelism. Truly this was a unique woman of God. Who was thinking not only of her self, but also her family, and her family to come. No greater gift than the word of God.
The poem inspired me, Thank You

debrah said...

Alice- continuing to keep you and your family in my prayers.
In His Love,
Debrah

Debra said...

Thank you so much, dear friend, for your heartfelt comment on my blog. I hope my story will help someone...I think I have lots of stories, and most of them are very good-not like the one I just shared.
I'm glad you are back-we've missed you.
Love, Debra

Rachel Olsen said...

Yes, Alice, I have gotten your prayer requests and prayed for your family this week. How neat to see God's fingerprint and recieve assurance in the form of a vision in the midst of this tradgedy.

I know you are leaving a tremendous legacy for your family!

Shirley Mary said...

Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog. They were truly appreciated.

I'm glad that you made it back safe. I'm sure the trip was an emotional drain. But I'm so glad that the aunt had a vision that brought peace to the family. I have a very dear friend whose son was killed in a wreck and after she found out about it she was in the bathroom crying. She said that she heard her son, say, "Mother, I'm OK." She had no doubt that is was his voice and it brought peace from that time on.

Losing our son in a car wreck, I understand some of the shock that one goes through. Our son was only about 5 or ten minutes from our house also. I know the family will need prayers for the valley of grief that they will have to walk through.

I'm glad that your husband is better and I pray that both of you will get some rest and feel refreshed.

mary

Sharon said...

Good Morning Alice,
Please know that I am praying for this family. It is very sad, and I know exactly what they are going through. Just like people have told us, it will take some time to heal, it is not easy by no means.
I am just so sorry for the family.

About the ordaining, Brad was ordained actually twice, first by this one couple, that are ministers. They thought our pastor should of ordained us along time ago, so they ordained both Brad and I. When Brad told the pastor we were ordained, I think he felt bad that he hadn't done it. So on Mother's day thats when the pastor had it done for him in the church. The way I see it, I am ordained by God!!! He knows my heart. Amen!!!!!!
So I have a certificate, but really I am ordained by my God.
I have alot to learn, aloooottt. As long as I stay in the word, and keep that door open, have patience, and never ever loose my faith I will learn because I know he wants to teach me. Brad and I share alot together, we are both teaching each other scriptures, we are memorizing at least 1 scripture a day. We know quite a few, but soooo many still left for us to learn. I know eventually we will have our own church, when God says we are ready. We both agree we think this is why the Lord has put us both here at this church. The opportunities we both have here is wonderful.. This Saturday is the womens ministry meeting, so I have learned with this, and the ladies love it, they look forward to every meeting. This makes God happy, and myself as well. Brad handles the men's ministry. Plus I make decisions on the music. Plus I do the monthly newsletter, I also clean the church, the Pastor there calls and asks me for my opinion occasionally. So alot of responsibilities ya know.
I stay busy... I feeeeel sooo bad that I haven't been able to get with Lynn on the Joyce Meyer's discussion, I want to so bad. She probably thinks I don't care about her... As you can see I do, thats why it bothers me... And now I have to run home feed Mr. Pecan that takes 30 minutes of time 5 times a day.. Yesterday while I was talking to my mom I took him out to feed, he ate quite a bit, then he started chewing on my finger & my nails, so I said to her maybe he is ready for a nut. So I looked in my frigerator and I had of course "Pecans" I gave him one and he went to townnnn.. So Brad is off today, he is going to this special pet store that has exotic pets, they have feed for squirrels, we will try him on this, this afternoon. Then he will be eating on his own. As soon as he is strong enough and big enough we will take him down to the park and let him go.
Ok I have chatted enough now. :)
Have a blessed day, keep smiling, cause God Loves Ya!
Love,
Sharon

debrah said...

Alice dropping by to say Hi...also can you tell me where you found the picture on your- I can only imagine post...I am looking for pictures for newsletter and I really like what I see on your site...
I found a video of that song I was looking for Come let us worship and bow down- this one has children singing...
God Bless you and your family...
In His Love,
Debrah

debrah said...

Hey Alice:
Thank you for your instructions...you are a wonderful teacher...I am so glad it is labor day...it means that we are getting close to autumn(my favorite season)...
Be Blessed,
In His Love,
Debrah

God Chaser said...

I'm not sure if you will see this but I saw your request at Nancie and I just want you know I am prayeing with you and may your surgery be successful.
Father God to Your wondername we give praise. We ask that you will bless Alice E as she goes into surgery tomorrow. give her Thy strength and give her doctor wisdom. We ask that the Comfortet will be present and Alcie will feel Him ever close holding her hand as You guide the doctor's jand. In Jesus Name we pray. Amen

Nicole said...

Sweet Alice,

I saw your prayer request on Debra's blog about your cataract surgery. I will be praying for you. Let me know how it goes.

Love,
Nicole

Sharon said...

Yes I am praying for you... You will do just fine. Many Blessings to you my friend
Sharon

Debra said...

Dear Alice, I got your prayer request late-after you already had the surgery. I don't know what's going on here...but I know God had you in His hands the whole time. I'll keep you on my list, til you'd like me to take your name off.
Love, Debra

God Chaser said...

I am filled with joy your surgery went well. God is amazing.

Joyfulsister said...

Hi Alice..
I just got back from camp and just came by to say hello and give *U* a hug,
I am just now reading about your husband I'm not sure what happened but please fill me in okay I will keep him in prayer in my prayer journal .. keep me updated my sistah!

Hugz Lorie

Debra said...

Hi Alice! I have tagged you to play A-Z about ME(meaning you). You can see the how to on my blog. You have to tag 5 others and link to their blogs, and link to the one(me!) who tagged you. I hope you are feeling well enough to play!
Love, Debra
I'm also sending you an award, the "Brillante Weblog" award. Please come over when you can.

Debra said...

Hello Again!
Thank you so much for the new blog address for T. Kinkade. My Mom loves his work and I think she has that Christmas book. He is a fantastic artist-I love the moods he evokes in the paintings.
I will certainly keep you in my prayers Alice. I can't imagine that surgery. I do hope I never have to go through that one! It's fine to not do those tag games-please don't feel any pressure-only do them when you can, and if you want to.
Please rest your eyes...
Love, Debra

Technonana said...

Alice... the line you see is suppose to be my signature... my blog was designed by a blog designer, not sure what happened to my name.. one day when I can sit here longer than a few minutes, I will have to figure it out!! I blog by live writer... it sometimes makes things difficult because my blog was signed up under my old email address, so in order to rework things on it, I have to go back to the origin address... it's a pain...
I will be posting again soon, gotta get my bible study done!!
Thanks for your concern.. it's just been very busy around here.. maybe if I get time I will blog about the things that are going on!! In the meantime will you pray for my friend Barbara Platt, they found a tumor in her colon and that is never good!! Sorry it looks like I have written a book!! Hope all is well with YOU!!

Technonana said...

Alice... I don't know the whole story about the accident.. I have just been reading other comments.. I just know that you are hurting.. I wish I had words, please know that I am praying for all of you!!!
In His Love!!
Sharon

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 

CursorsFree Cursors